The historical preservation and addition of the Salem Museum involved minor renovations to the 1845 brick facade Brown House and a newly constructed 10,000 square foot brick facade addition. Minor renovations to the 100-year plus structure involved brick repointing, new porches, and reinsulation. The 10,000 square foot addition features space to exhibit local history, artifacts, books, office space and space to host events. The project was built using LEED principles and features a “green” roof that doubles as a patio and sitting area, rainwater harvesting, and low water plumbing fixtures.
Owner: Salem Historical Society
Architect: SmithLewis Architecture
Location: Salem, VA.